Teens suffering from lack of sleep due to texting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Children today are surrounded by more technology than ever before, and while there are benefits, it has its drawbacks.
A new study says cell phones are cutting into how much sleep teenagers get.
"Children cannot get only 4, 5, 6 hours of sleep a night," said Dr. Peter Polos, of the JFK Medical Center.
Dr. Peter Polos has just completed a sleep study on 14 and 15 year olds.
What did he learn?
Once too many kids go to bed, they don't go to sleep for hours!
"These children have computers, they're gaming, texting, too much temptation," Dr. Polos said.
His study followed 40 patients.
He learned that: - Kids are actually going to sleep 4 hours after bedtime.
- They are texting an average of 33 times per night.
- It negatively affects their ability to learn, their mood and health.
"So even if they have gone to bed, if a text comes through, they take it and the cycle begins again," Dr. Polos said.
So how can you fix this? How do you get them to go to sleep?"
"Have a time when you turn everything off, 11 or 12," suggested one person
"If the parents talk to the kids just as you did with us, tell them it's bad academically and athletically," said another person.
Teens and texting is like peanut butter and jelly: watch what happened when Eyewitness News told them this story would be on TV.
Each teen sent several text messages.
Dr. Polos warns parents that as with all parenting check yourself, first.
"And sometimes they're up on the computer or phone or watching TV or doing the same," Dr. Polos said.
texting, children health, health news, michelle charlesworth
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania 39 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard 33 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239...
40 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in...
39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
25 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos