Recovering from Thanksgiving dinner
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Avoiding getting as overstuffed as the turkey on Thanksgiving is an annual failed exercise for many Americans.
The traditional table offerings are just too tempting to pass up.
The director of clinical nutrition at Montefiore Medical Center suggests moderation rather than deprivation or gluttony.
"Take what you love. Take small amounts of the other foods. Take one plate full and call it a day," Miriam Pappo said.
But if you do find yourself in a day-after food coma, she says there are some simple remedies.
Topping the to-do-list: rehydrate. Water will help counter all the alcohol, salt and sugar.
Next, exercise to counter all those calories.
Sleep will also allow your body to recover.
Then it's time to cleanse your palate. Nutritionists say that means more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and even low fat or fat free yogurt.
A salad with some leftover turkey is a good idea or maybe some fish that's high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
"You want to take away that carb overload, fat and sugar overload. Cleanse your palate by having meals that are low in sugar but higher in fiber," Pappo said.
Pappo adds don't make the mistake of skipping a meal to try to make-up for your over-indulgence. That will just lower your blood sugar and send you straight back to craving that pie on the counter.
Of course, for some, that is what thanksgiving is all about.
thanksgiving, diet, exercise, eating, health news, sandra bookman
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 56 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Carteret freight train derailment closes turnpike ramps 40 min ago
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Carteret freight train derailment closes...
40 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos