Recovering from Thanksgiving dinner
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Avoiding getting as overstuffed as the turkey on Thanksgiving is an annual failed exercise for many Americans.
The traditional table offerings are just too tempting to pass up.
The director of clinical nutrition at Montefiore Medical Center suggests moderation rather than deprivation or gluttony.
"Take what you love. Take small amounts of the other foods. Take one plate full and call it a day," Miriam Pappo said.
But if you do find yourself in a day-after food coma, she says there are some simple remedies.
Topping the to-do-list: rehydrate. Water will help counter all the alcohol, salt and sugar.
Next, exercise to counter all those calories.
Sleep will also allow your body to recover.
Then it's time to cleanse your palate. Nutritionists say that means more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and even low fat or fat free yogurt.
A salad with some leftover turkey is a good idea or maybe some fish that's high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
"You want to take away that carb overload, fat and sugar overload. Cleanse your palate by having meals that are low in sugar but higher in fiber," Pappo said.
Pappo adds don't make the mistake of skipping a meal to try to make-up for your over-indulgence. That will just lower your blood sugar and send you straight back to craving that pie on the counter.
Of course, for some, that is what thanksgiving is all about.
thanksgiving, diet, exercise, eating, health news, sandra bookman
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 14 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos