Recovering from Thanksgiving dinner
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Avoiding getting as overstuffed as the turkey on Thanksgiving is an annual failed exercise for many Americans.
The traditional table offerings are just too tempting to pass up.
The director of clinical nutrition at Montefiore Medical Center suggests moderation rather than deprivation or gluttony.
"Take what you love. Take small amounts of the other foods. Take one plate full and call it a day," Miriam Pappo said.
But if you do find yourself in a day-after food coma, she says there are some simple remedies.
Topping the to-do-list: rehydrate. Water will help counter all the alcohol, salt and sugar.
Next, exercise to counter all those calories.
Sleep will also allow your body to recover.
Then it's time to cleanse your palate. Nutritionists say that means more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and even low fat or fat free yogurt.
A salad with some leftover turkey is a good idea or maybe some fish that's high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
"You want to take away that carb overload, fat and sugar overload. Cleanse your palate by having meals that are low in sugar but higher in fiber," Pappo said.
Pappo adds don't make the mistake of skipping a meal to try to make-up for your over-indulgence. That will just lower your blood sugar and send you straight back to craving that pie on the counter.
Of course, for some, that is what thanksgiving is all about.
thanksgiving, diet, exercise, eating, health news, sandra bookman
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit 27 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 12 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
12 min ago