What breast cancer patients need to know
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's a procedure that can dramatically affect a breast cancer patient's quality of life.
"I felt so angry, I called my priest and he said do something with that anger do something good," said Pace, a cancer survivor, mother and grandmother.Pace became an activist. Now, she's sharing information she wants every breast cancer patient to know - that breast reconstruction is covered by insurance.
Not every patient has been getting that information, but all breast cancer patients must get that information because it's state law. "A lot of the doctors say, just be happy your cancer's being take out," said plastic surgeon Dr. Kaveh Alizadeh. Doctors say studies show 54 percent of patients covered by private insurance get breast reconstruction surgery as opposed to only 11 percent of patients covered by government sponsored insurance which told them the information wasn't getting to everyone who needed it. "There's a fault line across socioeconomic status of the patient in terms of how much information they get," said Dr. Alizadeh. "Breast reconstruction surgery helped me feel whole, and helps my self esteem," said Pace. Pace wants all patients to know that they're entitled to that feeling. "I've got 6 granddaughters, I'll never stop fighting," said Pace.
breast cancer, cancer, surgery, health news, jamie roth
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 48 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 56 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 49 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 14 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
38 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos