Late winter colds vs. spring allergies
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a lot of sneezing in the newsroom lately, a sure sign of allergy season. While the sneezing, red eyes and runny nose are typical of allergies, a cough may make you think you have a late winter cold.
The blooming Madison Avenue trees signal the beginning of pollen season. No news for Lee Alexander whose allergies started as a kid.
"Runny nose, itchy eyes, but also to the extent that I had blisters on the eyes," Alexander said.
And as he got older, his throat seemed to clear as if there was phlegm in the back of the throat as a result of the allergies.Phlegm from post nasal drip can settle in the throat. That and air passages inflamed by pollen can produce a cough.
"The mucous itself is more acidic when its thicker, so when it sits on the airway, it irritates it and causes cough, also it deprives the throat of its normal lubrication and the throat gets dried out and the normal particles we breath in sit on the tissues and make us cough," said Dr. William Reisacher from NY Presbyterian Weill Cornell.
How to tell it from a cold? Colds last a week or so, allergies the whole season. Colds may have a low grade fever not seen with allergies. Colds produce fatigue, while allergies usually don't.
For starters, allergy sufferers can loosen up mucous by drinking plenty of water, or try an allergy medication.
For a cough, there is newer over the counter antihistamines such as Claritin, Zyrtec, and Allegra. If you try over the counter antihistamines for a cough, be sure to read the labels carefully. They're not recommended for men with urinary problems or for people with glaucoma.
Patients rarely have a cough as the only symptom of allergies, it usually comes along with runny nose and sneezing.
If a cough goes on for too long after treatment for allergies or a cold, it's important to check with a doctor to make sure there's nothing more serious causing the cough.
cold, health alert, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Large explosion, fire reported in East Harlem 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 27 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos