Late winter colds vs. spring allergies
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a lot of sneezing in the newsroom lately, a sure sign of allergy season. While the sneezing, red eyes and runny nose are typical of allergies, a cough may make you think you have a late winter cold.
The blooming Madison Avenue trees signal the beginning of pollen season. No news for Lee Alexander whose allergies started as a kid.
"Runny nose, itchy eyes, but also to the extent that I had blisters on the eyes," Alexander said.
And as he got older, his throat seemed to clear as if there was phlegm in the back of the throat as a result of the allergies.Phlegm from post nasal drip can settle in the throat. That and air passages inflamed by pollen can produce a cough.
"The mucous itself is more acidic when its thicker, so when it sits on the airway, it irritates it and causes cough, also it deprives the throat of its normal lubrication and the throat gets dried out and the normal particles we breath in sit on the tissues and make us cough," said Dr. William Reisacher from NY Presbyterian Weill Cornell.
How to tell it from a cold? Colds last a week or so, allergies the whole season. Colds may have a low grade fever not seen with allergies. Colds produce fatigue, while allergies usually don't.
For starters, allergy sufferers can loosen up mucous by drinking plenty of water, or try an allergy medication.
For a cough, there is newer over the counter antihistamines such as Claritin, Zyrtec, and Allegra. If you try over the counter antihistamines for a cough, be sure to read the labels carefully. They're not recommended for men with urinary problems or for people with glaucoma.
Patients rarely have a cough as the only symptom of allergies, it usually comes along with runny nose and sneezing.
If a cough goes on for too long after treatment for allergies or a cold, it's important to check with a doctor to make sure there's nothing more serious causing the cough.
cold, health alert, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Man says he was unjustly pepper sprayed by police
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos