Study: Toxic protein causes aging
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new study says that aging may not simply be a gradual wearing out of cells.
The study found that the same toxic protein that causes a rare premature aging disorder, also plays a key role in normal cell aging.
The finding means that aging is not a passive wearing out of cells, but instead an active biological mechanism that is programmed into cells.
Researchers say the more they understand the aging process, the closer they get to preventing age related diseases like Alzheimer's.
The study was led by Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health.
health alert, aging, health news
- At least 2 dead, 55 hurt in East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Back to winter 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 40 min ago
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 3 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Back to winter
12 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
8 min ago