Study: Toxic protein causes aging
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new study says that aging may not simply be a gradual wearing out of cells.
The study found that the same toxic protein that causes a rare premature aging disorder, also plays a key role in normal cell aging.
The finding means that aging is not a passive wearing out of cells, but instead an active biological mechanism that is programmed into cells.
Researchers say the more they understand the aging process, the closer they get to preventing age related diseases like Alzheimer's.
The study was led by Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health.
health alert, aging, health news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos