Some foods we think are healthy, are not
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Most start their day with a bowl of high fiber, whole grain cereal. Can't go wrong with that, right?
"You have to be careful because a lot of them have a lot of added sugar," said Alissa Rumsey, a registered dietitian.
Eyewitness News took a walk through the Food Emporium with Alissa Rumsey, a Registered Dietitian with New York Presbyterian Hospital.
Sugary cereals are number one on the list of healthy food choices that aren't as healthy as you think. Rumsey says the best cereal choices have fewer than eight grams of sugar.
Number two on the list is pretzels. It's all just refined white flour with no little nutritional value.
And number three: "A lot of people reach for the veggie chips. But it's really not that much vegetable, it's more potato and corn," Rumsey said.
A good alternative to both is natural popcorn.
"And you even have to be careful with ground turkey. It can have a much fat as ground beef," Rumsey said.
Therefore ground turkey is number four on the list.
You think low calorie artificial sweeteners work, think again. That's number five.
"Yes, it's calorie free but it kind of tricks your body into craving more sugar," Rumsey said.
Leading to the reason why diet soda isn't good for you, that's number six on our list.
"This is my favorite part of the story because you're giving us the green light to eat ice cream," Eyewitness News reporter Darla Miles said.
Last but not the least, frozen yogurt is number seven on the list.
"A lot of frozen yogurts add more sugar," Rumsey said.
Finally some good news!
health alert, diet, health news, darla miles
- London attack could be terror-related, officials say 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police 15 min ago
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos