Grilling safety, holiday health and cancer news
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There is some news for cancer patients - Medicare says it will pay for two controversial cancer treatments. However, keep in mind that Medicare is funded by your tax money, and both of these drugs come with one heck of a price tag.
For prostate cancer patients, Medicare announced it will cover the cost of Provenge - a treatment that trains the body's immune system to fight the cancer. Studies show that Provenge may extend survival by about 4 months. The cost? $93,000 per patient.
Also, for breast cancer patients, Medicare will continue to cover Avastin - at least for now. The drug would otherwise cost patients $8,000 a month. Earlier this week, a federal advisory panel recommended that the Food and Drug Administration revoke the approval of Avastin for breast cancer. A final ruling is still pending.
A HEALTHY HOLIDAY WEEKEND
As we head into the holiday weekend, it is a time to celebrate! But if you are planning to drink, here is another reason to use a little restraint - turns out the emergency room is one of the most popular spots for young men to spend their July 4th.
A new study finds that the number of underage males who go to the ER for alcohol-related reasons more than doubles over the fourth. The number of visits by women under 21 goes up also, but not nearly as much.
Also, as you fire up the grill here are 3 quick reminders on how to keep your meal fun and safe.
And for after the barbecue is over, if it has been sitting out - throw it out. It is worth it to be a little wasteful and annoyingly cautious to avoid the misery of food poisoning.
cancer, fourth of july, health news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos