Alzheimer's, the A-B-C-S and broccoli
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new report says Alzheimer's disease affects even more people than we thought. But there's also a new ray of hope on the horizon.
Twenty-eight million people are living with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, but have not been diagnosed. That's according to a new report by a patient advocacy group. It says that an earlier diagnosis would mean that patients would benefit from treatment. But experts say the existing drugs are only modestly effective.
At the same time, a small new study suggests that a nasal insulin spray might someday be beneficial for people with early Alzheimer's or memory problems.
It found that insulin therapy improved short term memory and daily function
However, this is very preliminary research and more research is necessary to confirm it really works.
FIGHTING HEART DISEASE
In Washington, a major campaign was announced to fight our number one killer: heart disease.
The goal of health officials is to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes over the next 5 years by focusing on care and prevention.
One part of the campaign emphasizes the A-B-C-S - Aspirin for people at high risk; Blood pressure control; Cholesterol management; and Salt reduction.
The initiative is both public and private and also targets cost containment.
BROCCOLI AS A CANCER FIGHTER
Green vegetables are well known for their cancer fighters.
A new study says spicing up your broccoli could enhance its cancer fighting power even more.
The research finds that adding mustard, wasabi, horseradish or even broccoli sprouts to the vegetable will add an enzyme that enhances its anti cancer properties.
The researchers in Illinois measured blood compounds when broccoli was eaten alone and with the spicy additions.
That study was published in the British Journal of Nutrition.
cancer, heart disease, alzheimers disease, health news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 45 min ago
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 55 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl 43 min ago
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized 26 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos