Alzheimer's, the A-B-C-S and broccoli
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new report says Alzheimer's disease affects even more people than we thought. But there's also a new ray of hope on the horizon.
Twenty-eight million people are living with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, but have not been diagnosed. That's according to a new report by a patient advocacy group. It says that an earlier diagnosis would mean that patients would benefit from treatment. But experts say the existing drugs are only modestly effective.
At the same time, a small new study suggests that a nasal insulin spray might someday be beneficial for people with early Alzheimer's or memory problems.
It found that insulin therapy improved short term memory and daily function
However, this is very preliminary research and more research is necessary to confirm it really works.
FIGHTING HEART DISEASE
In Washington, a major campaign was announced to fight our number one killer: heart disease.
The goal of health officials is to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes over the next 5 years by focusing on care and prevention.
One part of the campaign emphasizes the A-B-C-S - Aspirin for people at high risk; Blood pressure control; Cholesterol management; and Salt reduction.
The initiative is both public and private and also targets cost containment.
BROCCOLI AS A CANCER FIGHTER
Green vegetables are well known for their cancer fighters.
A new study says spicing up your broccoli could enhance its cancer fighting power even more.
The research finds that adding mustard, wasabi, horseradish or even broccoli sprouts to the vegetable will add an enzyme that enhances its anti cancer properties.
The researchers in Illinois measured blood compounds when broccoli was eaten alone and with the spicy additions.
That study was published in the British Journal of Nutrition.
cancer, heart disease, alzheimers disease, health news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside! 44 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 3 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 57 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced