Pet owners getting sick from salmonella in pet food
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The government is racing to determine just how much salmonella is contaminating pet food making owners sick.
Dogs and cats are not getting sick from the salmonella; the owners are, after feeding their pets contaminated food.
Health experts say owners should wash their hands thoroughly after handling pet food, and do not put your pets food bowl on the counter or in the kitchen sink.
At least 70 people have gotten sick from salmonella tainted pet food.
animals, pet, health alert, health news
- Crews reach basement of East Harlem buildings
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 27 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 59 min ago
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams