Pet owners getting sick from salmonella in pet food
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The government is racing to determine just how much salmonella is contaminating pet food making owners sick.
Dogs and cats are not getting sick from the salmonella; the owners are, after feeding their pets contaminated food.
Health experts say owners should wash their hands thoroughly after handling pet food, and do not put your pets food bowl on the counter or in the kitchen sink.
At least 70 people have gotten sick from salmonella tainted pet food.
animals, pet, health alert, health news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 30 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 30 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 1 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 50 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
50 min ago