Definition of autism may change
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The way autism is defined could soon change, and that could mean fewer kids are diagnosed.
"It could be tougher to qualify, because before you could have a greater range of kinds of symptoms that you were displaying, now you have to show a more consistent symptom profile to qualify," said Dr. James McPartland, from the Yale University Child Study Center.
Dr. McPartland spoke to Eyewitness News via Skype.
He is the co-author of a new study, which was just presented.
It says the new definition of autism would dramatically reduce the number of children who are diagnosed.
Proposed changes to the definition would eliminate the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome and what's known as Pervasive Developmental Disorder, not otherwise specified.
They would be combined with autism into one diagnosis, Autism Spectrum Disorder.
"When we looked at individuals with cognitive abilities in the average range, it looks like half of them will continue to meet and half wouldn't meet criteria," Dr. McPartland said.
But not all experts agree the impact would be that big.
It's a crucial issue for parents of children with autism because you need an official diagnosis to receive state-funded services and behavioral therapy.
Child behavioral expert Dr. Andrew Adesman, who was not involved in the study or in developing the new criteria, says the new guidelines would simplify the definition, but that the true impact remains to be seen.
"I think it's premature for parents to worry about the impact in terms of services," Dr. Adesman said. "Those children will likely still qualify if they have some other form of communication disorder."
This is not a done deal yet.
The new definition of Autism Spectrum Disorder is reportedly still under review by the American Psychiatric Association.
The final definition will not be out until 2013.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
autism, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles 36 min ago
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 57 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS 22 min ago
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Third grader killed in accident, truck...
36 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling...
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
23 min ago
- Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos