Woman delivers twins using two uteri
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A woman gave birth to twins with two different uteri, and the mom and the babies are now doing great.
Griffin and Carter Camp are two bundles of joy to proud parents Tim and Alison.
I get goosebumps it just seems unbelievable to me we are just so fortunate that were going to walk away with two healthy young boys," they said.
Two boys who already have a very unusual story to tell.
Each had his own uterus to grow in, but they have the same mother.
Alison has an extremely rare condition called Uterus Didelphys, which means she has two uteri.
An ultrasound revealed the surprising diagnosis.
Alison was diagnosed with the double uterus when she was 19.
And some doctors told her she would never be able to have children.
To date, only 75 cases have reportedly been documented in the world.
"It's very rare. I've never seen this and I've been doing medicine for 40 years. It's extremely, extremely rare to have this extent of abnormality and have kids," said Dr. Shailini Singh.
Carter and Griffin were born on October 8th at just 25 weeks, weighing just 1 pound 5 ounces. Their journey has been a roller coaster.
But now Carter was able to go home last week and Griffin remains in the NICU healthy and getting stronger every day.
"I want them to know..you are a fighter and you've already overcome so much so now the sky is the limit," adds Alison.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Tornado touched down near Copake
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer 44 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos