Woman delivers twins using two uteri
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A woman gave birth to twins with two different uteri, and the mom and the babies are now doing great.
Griffin and Carter Camp are two bundles of joy to proud parents Tim and Alison.
I get goosebumps it just seems unbelievable to me we are just so fortunate that were going to walk away with two healthy young boys," they said.
Two boys who already have a very unusual story to tell.
Each had his own uterus to grow in, but they have the same mother.
Alison has an extremely rare condition called Uterus Didelphys, which means she has two uteri.
An ultrasound revealed the surprising diagnosis.
Alison was diagnosed with the double uterus when she was 19.
And some doctors told her she would never be able to have children.
To date, only 75 cases have reportedly been documented in the world.
"It's very rare. I've never seen this and I've been doing medicine for 40 years. It's extremely, extremely rare to have this extent of abnormality and have kids," said Dr. Shailini Singh.
Carter and Griffin were born on October 8th at just 25 weeks, weighing just 1 pound 5 ounces. Their journey has been a roller coaster.
But now Carter was able to go home last week and Griffin remains in the NICU healthy and getting stronger every day.
"I want them to know..you are a fighter and you've already overcome so much so now the sky is the limit," adds Alison.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 47 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 8 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed 41 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 42 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
32 min ago