Study: Pink eye complications vary in range
New York (WABC) -- Baby Finn Hinkel has pink eye. Pink eye can have many different causes, ranging from just simple irritation from a speck of dust to being caused by a virus, according to Dr. Jennifer Shu, a doctor at Amer. Academy of Pediatrics. Shu explained that allergies or bacteria could cause pink eye.
"Sometimes the lids will be so crusty that he's not able to open his eye," said Katie Hinkel, the mother of Finn.
A wash cloth dipped in cold water can ease the symptoms.
"Sometimes just using a cold compress is enough to make it go away," said Shu. "However, if it gets worse and worse, then using an antibiotic ointment or drops or sometimes even oral antibiotics will be necessary."
People wearing contact lenses should see a doctor early to prevent complications. Pink eye is often very contagious, so a few simple steps early on can help keep it from spreading, according to the National Institutes of Health.
"Really good hand washing, keeping a child out of school or day care until their symptoms go away, and avoid sharing objects like wash cloths," said Shu.
Some babies, like Finn, get pink eye more often because of a blocked tear duct. Both mom and doctor are hoping he will outgrow out of it.
health alert, new york state, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos