List of 25 words toddlers should say by age 2
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you spend time at the playground, you see that children have many ways of getting their point across.
But consider a vocabulary checklist.
A study out of Bryn Mawr College landed on 25 words your child should know by age 2.
They're some of the most basic and common words, but good targets.
The List of 25 Words:
The researcher behind the study says if your child doesn't know all 25 words, he or she may be just fine, just a late-talker.
But, it's worth discussing with your pediatrician and evaluating whether it's indicative of, perhaps, a broader problem.
"There might be something else going on. Hearing and other developmental delays so it's always worth mentioning to your doctor," said Dr. Laurie Belosa, a pediatrician.
Language delay can indicate problems with understanding or autism, perhaps.
"Some kids connect differently, some kids are shier than others, and it doesn't mean it's a sign of autism, but it's always good to just take a step back, evaluate it and talk to your doctor about it," Dr. Belosa said.
Dr. Laurie Belosa of TriBeCa Pediatrics' new Upper East Side office says at the 2-year visit, pediatricians always discuss language.
Parents say a list of words is one guide. There are others.
"I think the understanding is really key, too. So, they may not be able to verbalize it. One of my daughters did a lot of pointing for awhile until she actually started speaking, but if you know they understand you, to look for that, perhaps," said Melody Mak, a parent.
And you can help improve your child's language skills.
"Engaging with your child in everyday talk. Reading to them, interacting with them is the best thing you can do," Dr. Belosa said.
Researchers say talk slowly but naturally to your child.
And don't force your child to speak.
Language will develop more readily without added pressure.
"Anxiety is a terrible thing. I'd rather go with speech delay than anxious parent. I think that's corrosive," said Paul James, a parent.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
children, children health, health news, jamie roth
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- South Plainfield High School lockdown lifted
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos