Helpful tips for your child's first dentist visit
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Little Jayden is here for his first visit to the dentist and like most us, he wants to leave.
"It's a little bit difficult because he's so active now," said Jayden's mother.
To make your child's visit to the dentist a little less painful. We checked in with Dr. Amr Moursi, chairman of pediatric dentistry at NYU College of Dentistry. First he says don't worry if your child cries, it's completely ok.
"They're going to cry, we're used to that, don't let that keep you from bringing your child to the dentist," Moursi said.
Next, don't try to over prepare your child.
"They'll sometimes actually make things worse. Like 'oh it's not Going hurt they won't use a needle.' Well all the child hears is hurt and needle," adds Moursi.
What you can do is tell them why you're going to the dentist, just remember that less is more.
"Tell them were just going to see Dr. Moursi and he's just going to help us keep your teeth healthy that's it," adds Moursi.
And it's normal to be a little nervous about coming to the dentist.
Young Jace Lackford told Dr. Parikh he was nervous.
"I thought he was going to take my teeth out," Jace said.
But if your child is really frightened, you can even go to the office for a fun preview visit before the real appointment.
"They get to sit in the waiting room and play with some toys and that sets them up for the next visit," Moursi said.
LINK: AAPD DVD for parents
LINK: ADA PROGRAM
Two good books about going to the dentist:
Going to the Dentist, EDC is the publisher of this Usborne First Experiences book
Sesame Street Ready Set Brush, publisher Simon & Schuster.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
dental care, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 21 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 1 min ago
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 40 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos