Coping with moving clocks an hour ahead
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As spring approaches, we spring the clocks forward one hour on Sunday at 2 a.m., that means losing an hour of sleep and throwing off our body clocks.
If you're getting an hour less of sleep then you're going to have motor control problems, fine motor functioning, memory issues, attention problems.
Some studies have even shown an increase in heart attacks and car accidents right after the time change.
Dr. Shelby Harris, sleep disorders expert at Montefiore Medical Center and for www.youbeauty.com says to help your body adjust, try changing the clock earlier in the day.
"Don't change it right before you go to bed at night, change it maybe in the afternoon that way your spending your hours in the afternoon on the new schedule," she said.
Exercise on Saturday and Sunday so you sleep better Saturday night and to wake yourself up on Sunday.
And when you wake up Sunday morning, get as much light as possible.
"Go sit in front of a window, open up all the curtains in your living room, the minute you get up really try and get bright light," adds Dr. Harris.
And try not to nap on Saturday or Sunday, so that no matter what by Sunday night, you'll be tired enough to fall asleep on the new schedule so Monday is less painful.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 4 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power 48 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale 29 min ago
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall 28 min ago
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a...
29 min ago
- Could certain yoga movements cause a stroke?
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
4 min ago