Thyme used as herbal acne treatment
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new study found that Thyme could be a more effective treatment for acne than prescription creams.
The research was presented at the Society for General Microbiology's Spring Conference in Dublin.
The effects of thyme, marigold, and myrrh tinctures were tested by the researchers at Leeds Metropolitan University.
The thyme tincture was found to work the best out of the three when it came to treating white heads to more serious cysts.
Thyme also was found to have a greater antibacterial effect than benzyl peroxide which is used in more acne treatment creams.
Researchers say this more gentle treatment of thyme steeped in alcohol could benefit people with sensitive skin.
Doctors hope that further clinical testing could lead to a more effective acne treatment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health alert, health news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos