The mental benefits of talking to yourself
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Do you talk to yourself? If you do, a new study suggests it could have mental benefits.
Researchers say that people who talk to themselves while searching for things may be able to find them more quickly. The findings were published online in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology.
Adults who participated in the experiment were shown 20 pictures of different objects and were asked to find one of them. In other tests, the participants were told to find the objects again and were instructed to say the name of the object to themselves. This study revealed that people who talked to themselves were able to find the items more quickly.
A second "virtual shopping test" was done, where commonly found supermarket items were shown. When the items appeared, participants had to identify what they were. Once again, researchers found that participants were able to find objects faster if they told themselves the name of familiar objects.
The authors of the study concluded in their report that while self-directed speech does help with locating things, there is no direct evidence at the moment that self-directed affected the efficiency of the specific target.
Previous studies have suggested when children talk to themselves it guides their behavior.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health alert, health news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
25 min ago