Botox for migraines
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Botox is the drug that helps prevent facial wrinkles, but it also helps with migraines. A new study in the journal of the American Medical Association finds that though the drug provides headache relief, that it may not be as effective as originally thought.
Botox was first proposed as a headache treatment when doctors noticed that patients who experienced chronic headaches who got cosmetic botox treatments also found relief for their headaches. In 2010, the Food and Drug Administration approved the drug for the treatment of chronic migraines.
The new research found that Botox provides modest benefits for those suffering from chronic migraines - meaning 15 or more a month. The drug does not appear to help those who suffer from less frequent migraines, however, or those with tension headaches.
Scientists reviewed more than 25 studies and found that Botox was associated with approximately 2 to 3 fewer headaches per month among patients with chronic migraines. Botox is not the standard treatment for migraines but the study authors suggest that it can provide relief to patients who experience bad side effects from regular headache medications.
Allergan, the maker of Botox, issues this statement about the study: "This data set demonstrates important and tangible benefits to adult chronic migraine patients who are treated with Botox."
botox, health news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 22 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Investigation after police shoot suspect in Conn.
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile