Study: Red lipstick elicits bigger tips
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Good service in a restaurant can get you a big tip if you're a waitress. But a new French study finds red lipstick may help to enhance the amount of a tip, too.
Dr. Scott Bea did not take part in the study but is a clinical psychologist at Cleveland Clinic.
"The study was set up so that waitresses would wear red lipstick, pink lipstick, brown lipstick, or no lipstick and the startling finding, or maybe not so startling, was that when a waitress wears red lipstick she does so much better in getting tips from males than when she wears no lipstick at all," Dr. Bea said.
Researchers recruited seven waitresses at three different restaurants for the study. They followed them for 8 weeks during the lunch hour.
Results show male patrons gave tips more often when the waitress had lipstick on and when the color was red, the tips were larger. The lipstick had no effect on female diners.
Researchers say red lips are associated with estrogen levels, sexual arousal, and health, which in turn, could lead male patrons to a more positive perception of the women's faces and bigger tips.
Dr. Bea says wearing red will always make you stand out.
"This is a powerful color. People hypothesize what it is about red, but it does stand out. It jumps to our eye; it does have the longest wavelength. That's why stop signs and red lights are red, it's to capture our attention quickly," Dr. Bea said.
Complete findings for this study are in the "International Journal of Hospitality Management."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
style, womens health, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 55 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 49 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 42 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park