Men and knee injuries
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Knees injuries may be more common in men after all -- specifically anterior cruciate ligament tears.
The ACL can be injured during sports that involve quick turns and sudden stops.
The report in the American Journal of Sports Medicine used a nationwide database to count the injuries and surgical repairs in the Swedish population.
Men accounted for about 60 percent of the tears and 59 percent of the surgeries.
Past research shows women's knees are more at risk for ACL tears.
One researcher believes the difference is those studies looked at young women who are more at risk for these injuries.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 45 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos 2 min ago