Targeting breast cancer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new weapon in the fight against breast cancer is a treatment that targets the disease in a more direct way. Patients receive less radiation and fewer doses.
Like most women, Nina Baratiak was shocked by the diagnosis.
"I had a tumor in my left breast. My brain just shut down, like what? Really?" Nina Baratiak, breast cancer survivor, said.
After a lumpectomy, Nina chose to try a new type of radiation to kill any remaining cancer cells. It's called brachytherapyalso known as internal radiation.
"Brachytherapy is a much more precise treatment. It delivers radiation right to the area at risk, right after surgery," Rakesh Patel, MD. Said. Patel is past Chairman of the American Brachytherapy Society and Director of Breast Cancer Services at Western Radiation Oncology.
Traditionally, cancer patients undergo external beam radiation therapy to treat the whole breast. It's 15 minutes, five days a week for six weeks, and potentially damaging to nearby skin and tissues. Brachytherapy is more targeted, delivering radiation from the inside out ten minutes a day for only five days.
"It really hones in to that area and preserves some of that healthy tissue," Patel said.
At the doctor's office, a radioactive seed is fed through a device into the area where the tumor was removed. That seed delivers radiation to the surrounding area. More doctors are using this procedure to treat early stage breast cancer, but critics say more research is needed. One recent study found that women who had brachytherapy had a slightly higher risk of the cancer reoccurring.
Nina is almost a year out from surgery and is cancer free so far, enjoying the newest member of the family.
"They chose her name Zoë, and that means life and we just felt that was a real sign to us," Baratiak said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
breast cancer, womens health, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 58 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 51 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park