Stress as kids head back to school
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Next week marks the start of the new school year for most kids in our area, and that can be quite a stressful time for some kids the new transition, perhaps new school, new friends.
But for parents, how do you know when that stress becomes something more, and what should you do about it?
A new school year can mean big changes.
"Anytime you are making a change in grade, especially if you move from elementary school to middle school or middle school to high school, many schools come together," said Kate Eshleman, with Cleveland Clinic. She adds, "So, there are new students that you don't know. There are new teachers. Maybe you used to be in one classroom all day and now you're changing classes."
Psychologists say you can watch for subtle signs. Maybe they're having trouble sleeping, or have lost their appetite.
They may even complain of more physical pains, like stomach aches or headaches, or they may just be more irritable.
If you notice any of this happening in the days leading up to the first day of school, try walking through the process in advance.
"I would encourage you to go to the school. Try to see if you can meet the teacher and walk around the classroom. Figure out where the locker is going to be. The more prepared they feel, the less stress they will experience," adds Dr. Eshleman.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 8 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 10 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 24 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos