Stress as kids head back to school
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Next week marks the start of the new school year for most kids in our area, and that can be quite a stressful time for some kids the new transition, perhaps new school, new friends.
But for parents, how do you know when that stress becomes something more, and what should you do about it?
A new school year can mean big changes.
"Anytime you are making a change in grade, especially if you move from elementary school to middle school or middle school to high school, many schools come together," said Kate Eshleman, with Cleveland Clinic. She adds, "So, there are new students that you don't know. There are new teachers. Maybe you used to be in one classroom all day and now you're changing classes."
Psychologists say you can watch for subtle signs. Maybe they're having trouble sleeping, or have lost their appetite.
They may even complain of more physical pains, like stomach aches or headaches, or they may just be more irritable.
If you notice any of this happening in the days leading up to the first day of school, try walking through the process in advance.
"I would encourage you to go to the school. Try to see if you can meet the teacher and walk around the classroom. Figure out where the locker is going to be. The more prepared they feel, the less stress they will experience," adds Dr. Eshleman.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Metro North trains collide, 60 people injured
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- Vigil held for Hofstra shooting victim
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $600 million
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Woman, boyfriend found shot to death in NJ park
- Tarrytown remembers Hofstra shooting victim
- abcnews: Sole survivor of plane crash breaks silence
- Photos: Scandal Season 2 Finale
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos