The rowing workout
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's called shockwave, a new class at Equinox Gyms that takes the rowing machine to a new level.
It's an interval class where you rotate through different stations
"Each station is always going to focus on hitting legs, core, and arms because that's what the rower focuses on as well," said Danielle Hopkins, group fitness instructor at Equinox Gyms.
"I like the circuit style training in class cause you're never in one place for longer than maybe a minute," Jaimie Linn, who tried the Shockwave class, said.
But the catch is that you can't switch stations until the rowers go the distance.
"So you'll have someone like dying in plank and waiting for you to wrap up. It adds an element of fun and here's a little bit of a team aspect and a little bit of competition," Hopkins said.
"I feel like I'm really pushing myself to the max and like using all my energy that I possibly can," Alexis Lilly said.
Rowing is a highly efficient workout. It uses just about every muscle in your body without any impact on your joints. You can burn up to 800 calories an hour, but the perceived level of exertion is a lot lower than if you were running.
That means it doesn't feel like you're working as hard because you're using all those muscles at the same time.
"If you're running on a treadmill it feels like a 10, on here you'll be burning more calories than if you were running on a treadmill but it's gonna feel like maybe a 7 or an 8 in your body," Hokins explained.
Most gyms have a rowing machine, so don't be intimidated to check it out. Hopkins demonstrated the proper technique.
"You want to think in your head, legs, core, and then arms. So, big push, lean back and just pull the last second," she said, but adds something not to do. "There are the overachievers that go back super far pulling up to their teeth.
The best advice, she says, is don't overthink it. Just try it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow hits southern New Jersey, heads for NYC 33 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 19 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV