The rowing workout
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's called shockwave, a new class at Equinox Gyms that takes the rowing machine to a new level.
It's an interval class where you rotate through different stations
"Each station is always going to focus on hitting legs, core, and arms because that's what the rower focuses on as well," said Danielle Hopkins, group fitness instructor at Equinox Gyms.
"I like the circuit style training in class cause you're never in one place for longer than maybe a minute," Jaimie Linn, who tried the Shockwave class, said.
But the catch is that you can't switch stations until the rowers go the distance.
"So you'll have someone like dying in plank and waiting for you to wrap up. It adds an element of fun and here's a little bit of a team aspect and a little bit of competition," Hopkins said.
"I feel like I'm really pushing myself to the max and like using all my energy that I possibly can," Alexis Lilly said.
Rowing is a highly efficient workout. It uses just about every muscle in your body without any impact on your joints. You can burn up to 800 calories an hour, but the perceived level of exertion is a lot lower than if you were running.
That means it doesn't feel like you're working as hard because you're using all those muscles at the same time.
"If you're running on a treadmill it feels like a 10, on here you'll be burning more calories than if you were running on a treadmill but it's gonna feel like maybe a 7 or an 8 in your body," Hokins explained.
Most gyms have a rowing machine, so don't be intimidated to check it out. Hopkins demonstrated the proper technique.
"You want to think in your head, legs, core, and then arms. So, big push, lean back and just pull the last second," she said, but adds something not to do. "There are the overachievers that go back super far pulling up to their teeth.
The best advice, she says, is don't overthink it. Just try it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos