New pediatric center at Hospital for Special Surgery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The new pediatric center at the Hopsital for Special Surgery is a multi million dollar project that is about to be complete.
"Scoliosis is when your spine is making a teeny weeny s shape," said Kaitlyn Kirby.
To fix the scoliosis, 7-year-old Kaitlyn Kirby has had to wear a brace for the last couple years, and so does her doll Isabella.
Kaitlyn is one of countless children who has been treated here at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan.
And now for the first time there's a brand new area just kids.
"We have pediatricians we have pediatric rheumatologists, we have surgeons and rehabilitation specialists and we're all in one facility," said Dr. Roger Widmann, Chieff, Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery.
The new children's pavilion has 10 private rooms with breathtaking views of the east river, and from the nursing station the staff can see directly in to each room.
And whether it's scoliosis or a broken arm, it's crucial for kids with growing bones to get care early and fast to prevent a lifetime of pain and problems.
These kids have not only thrived, now they're helping other children. Shashi Bangera and doctor created online exercise videos for people in wheelchairs.
"Five minutes of their day use their muscles strengthen their muscles, that's the key," said Shashi.
And like Shashi, 7-year-old Ismael Vega is battling a condition called Osteogenesis Imperfecta where the bones are brittle and easily break.
Doctors told him he would never walk, but he proved them wrong and said he recently spoke to congress asking for more federal funding for research. As for Kaitlyn, she's finishing up her first book--to help other kids with scoliosis.
The new Pediatric Center at the Hospital for Special Surgery cost $24 million and was paid for by private and corporate donations. It's expected to be up and running by the end of October.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 13 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 12 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 2 min ago