New hospital gowns for Breast Cancer patients
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The dreaded hospital gown can make just about any procedure feel worse. It's known as a "Johnny Gown" and usually hangs open in all the wrong places.
"It's kind of impersonal," said Sharon Linder.
Sharon Linder watched her mother and sisters battle breast cancer with grace, even if the hospital gown they wore, left them feeling vulnerable.
"Well, I think the traditional Johnnie is the brunt of many jokes, because you see them in movies where people's, you know, backsides are exposed," said Linder.
And if you're a breast cancer patient, or in for a check-up or mammogram, the gown is often worn backside facing front.
"I just kind of thought, there's got to be a better way. There's got to be just something that's more pleasant, that's better looking that would make people feel more comfortable...something that's warmer," adds Linder.
So instead of a Johnny, Sharon created a Jane. It's light weight, ties like a robe, and keeps private parts, private.
The new gowns are available online. It's one of many hospitals gowns now on the market, all of them designed to be functional and fashionable with different colors and fabrics.
Eyewitness News found prices ranging from about $30 up to $80.
Sharon says a portion of the proceeds from the sale of each "Jane" gown will help low-income women pay for mammograms, supporting breast health and doing it in style.
"I think the treatment is uncomfortable enough that you shouldn't have to be uncomfortable with what you're wearing," she adds.
Keep in mind if you purchase your own hospital gown, check with the hospital first to make sure you're allowed to use your own instead of the one the hospital provides.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Suffolk County parents getting free alcohol test kits
- NJ couple arraigned on animal cruelty charges
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos