Report: Young kids watch more television than necessary
NEW YORK (WABC) -- How many hours of television do you think your children are watching? The answer may be more than you think.
A child does not have to be sitting in front of the television to feel it's negative effects.
A new study in the Journal Pediatrics looks at background television in the homes of American children.
It finds the average child age 8 months to 8 years is exposed to nearly 4 hours of background television a day.
"Even if it's just background noise, it's imprinting on your child,' said Dr. Ellen Rome, with Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital.
Research has shown that too much tv at a young age can impact cognitive development and social interaction.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no tv or screen time at all for children under the age of 2.
After age 2, no more than two hours a day.
"That counts media, video game, computer, and tv, and that means no more than 14 hours a week," adds. Dr. Rome.
The new study finds that exposure to background tv was highest for infants and toddlers, almost 6 hours a day.
African-American children, those in low-income families, and kids with tv's in their bedroom also topped of the list.
The researchers say parents should turn the tv off at bedtime, mealtime and when no one is watching.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 28 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos