Tips to fill your stomach with less food
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you want to lose weight, but still feel full and satisfied, it's possible.
First, cut slice and dice your food.
The same serving size looks like bigger- especially if you spread it around the plate
"We kind of trick our mind into thinking we're eating more," said Jessica Shapiro, Registered Dietician at Montefiore Medical Center.
Researchers from Arizona State found that when a bagel is cut into pieces, people ate less of it.
And tip number two, add a vegetable puree.
"Vegetables are low in calories but high in nutrition," adds Shapiro.
Shapiro showed off her favorite pasta sauce puree. First, roast vegetables in the oven and chop them up, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers. Then put them in a blender and puree.
Mix that into a simple tomato sauce.
And one recent study found that if you sneak pureed vegetables into a meal the people consumed the same quantity of food they felt just as full but had two extra servings of vegetables and 350 fewer calories.
Jessica says you can also add pureed veggies into mashed potatoes, giving you the same texture, but with more vitamins and nutrients.
And tip number three, add air. "By incorporating air it adds more volume," adds Shapiro.''
For example popcorn will take up more space in a measuring cup then chips.
And try whipped butter and whipped cream cheese. Same taste, but the added air means you can eat more of it with fewer calories.
And when it comes to plates, size matters. It's been shown that if you eat on a smaller plate, you eat less food--but still feel like you're eating a full plate's worth of food.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 20 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 44 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 7 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 17 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 40 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
7 min ago