Tips on how to prevent colds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The season for sneezing and coughing is already here.
So is there anyway to avoid getting one -- well doctors say there are some preventative things you can do that will make a difference.
"There are preventative things that clearly have been shown in multiple studies that make a difference," said Dr. Michael Benninger with Cleveland Clinic.
Things like eating a well balanced diet, getting a good night's sleep, washing your hands and exercising can improve the chanced of you and your loved ones of staying healthy and sneezing and coughing through the cold and flu season. Dr. Benninger says studies have shown people who exercise routinely contract fewer colds than those who don't exercise. Washing your hands frequently also helps kill any virus or bacteria you may pick up during the day. You should also avoid touching your mouth or eyes with your hands as much as possible. A healthy diet will provide you will all of the vitamins and minerals you need to build a strong immune system. And Dr. Benninger says if it's too late and you feel a cold coming on, all is not lost. you can try zinc lozenges. "They bind to the viral particles and help prevent some of the replication. It won't prevent you from getting a cold, but it may make your cold less severe and last not quite as long," adds. Dr. Benninger. Your doctor may also prescribe the use of an intra-nasal steroid spray to decrease the effects of a cold.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide