Tips on how to prevent colds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The season for sneezing and coughing is already here.
So is there anyway to avoid getting one -- well doctors say there are some preventative things you can do that will make a difference.
"There are preventative things that clearly have been shown in multiple studies that make a difference," said Dr. Michael Benninger with Cleveland Clinic.
Things like eating a well balanced diet, getting a good night's sleep, washing your hands and exercising can improve the chanced of you and your loved ones of staying healthy and sneezing and coughing through the cold and flu season. Dr. Benninger says studies have shown people who exercise routinely contract fewer colds than those who don't exercise. Washing your hands frequently also helps kill any virus or bacteria you may pick up during the day. You should also avoid touching your mouth or eyes with your hands as much as possible. A healthy diet will provide you will all of the vitamins and minerals you need to build a strong immune system. And Dr. Benninger says if it's too late and you feel a cold coming on, all is not lost. you can try zinc lozenges. "They bind to the viral particles and help prevent some of the replication. It won't prevent you from getting a cold, but it may make your cold less severe and last not quite as long," adds. Dr. Benninger. Your doctor may also prescribe the use of an intra-nasal steroid spray to decrease the effects of a cold.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 1 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 52 min ago