Choosing safe Halloween costumes for kids
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Halloween is still a couple of weeks away, but for some of you, it's already time to start thinking about that costume for your kids.
Here's what you need to know to keep your kids safe.
There will be lots of monsters and goblins scaring up some fun this Halloween, but no matter how creative a costume is, think safety first.
"When you're buying or making a costume, think bright, so that they're visible in the dark," said Dr. Ellen Rome, of the Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital. "And think flame-resistant."
Wigs and other accessories should also be flame resistant, and make sure that when kids dress up for to trick or treat, nothing obstructs what they can see.
"That means masks have to have big eye holes," Dr. Rome said. "Even better, non-toxic face paint, so that you can draw or draw on the pattern and the kid can have great visibility."
All treats should get a parent's seal of approval, checked over for tampering and choking hazards. Also, put reflective tape on costumes or shoes, and limit accessories. Props, like swords and knives, can pose safety hazards.
And kids who are old enough to go out by themselves should be taught how to call 911 in case of an emergency.
When it comes to decorative contact lenses, unless your eye doctor says it's okay, go ahead and pass on them.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, lori stokes
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 43 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 24 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 37 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 23 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
41 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
43 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
37 min ago