Miss America contestant to undergo surgery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A beauty pageant contesant is going under the knife to save her life, she says.
After the Miss America pageant, Allyn Rose says she will undergo a voluntary, preventative double mastectomy.
This potentially lifesaving surgery is something Allyn Rose has thought about since she was just 16 and lost her mom to breast cancer. Her mom was only 51.
"My mom almost died at 27 and that is not a risk I am willing to take," Rose said.
Not only does Allyn have age 27 looming in her future, but she has tested positive for the gene mutation that gives cancer the green light.
She says her dad begged her mom to have this same preventive surgery, years ago.
Why now? Well, Allyn says after the Miss America pageant she'll be done with pageants and in the meantime this is important for people to talk about.
Her dad has been nudging her with tough love: she tweeted this note after appearing on GMA, "Wish my mom was here but I know she's watching over me."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, michelle charlesworth
- American Meb Keflezighi wins Boston Marathon 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 12 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos