Give the gift of becoming a bone marrow donor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Earlier this week, Eyewitness News heard from our very own Robin Roberts, who is recovering from a bone marrow transplant. Throughout the journey, Robin has inspired so many people to become donors. This Thanksgiving, many bone marrow transplants are also giving others the gift of life.
The gift of life is so precious.
It doesn't get any clearer than when someone - whether it is family or a stranger becomes a bone marrow donor. On Good Morning America, Erika Turner, wife and mother of two, met her bone marrow donor, Yale University Graduate Christopher Magoon for the first time.
It is moments like that, as well as her own personal fight that have inspired Robin Roberts. She has shared her thoughts with her donor, sister Sally-Ann.
So many people have answered the call since Robin's announcement in June. Over 56,000 people have registered online with BeTheMatch.org to be potential donors, including students from her alma mater, Southeastern Louisiana University.
Siblings Will and Kate Boggan both received life-saving bone marrow transplants.
"It is a completely selfless act when you go out and donate bone marrow like that," said father Alex Boggan.
To find out how to register to become a bone marrow donor, CLICK HERE.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Missing plane may have turned back 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 45 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 4 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
22 min ago