Surprising ways germs spread while holiday shopping
NEW YORK (WABC) -- When you head out to the mall or the stores this weekend, remember: you're not alone.
A recent study done in England found as many as 1 in 10 bank cards have fecal bacteria on them and 1 in 7 bills are contaminated, too.
Dr. Alan Taege did not take part in the study but treats infectious diseases at Cleveland Clinic.
"Things that get touched multiple times by many people are likely to be contaminated, particularly money, and in this case, a highlighted credit card, because we pass them from our hands to someone else back and forth," Taege said. "It's not at all unusual for them to be contaminated with bacteria."
Researchers at Queen Mary University, in London, swabbed the hands, money and credit cards of nearly 300 people.
They found bacteria on the hands of 11 percent of the people, on 8 percent of the credit cards, and 6 percent of the bills they tested.
"They highlighted the fact that staphylococcal bacterial, as well as many organisms that are found in--hate to say it-- fecal matter found in stool in the GI tract were found on these particular items that they tested," Taege explained.
Researchers say bacteria spreads fast and cell phones and handbags are also hot spots for germs.
Dr. Taege says to avoid getting sick while you shop, you can wipe down your credit cards after using them, or just be sure to wash your hands as much as possible.
"Still the best thing is remembering these are dirty surfaces, so after you handle them, either wash your hands," he said, "or if you're going to be out shopping like everyone will be for the holidays now, these various hand rubs that you can carry in your pocket--the little alcohol run bottles and so forth and so on--those types of things may not be perfect but they help."
Dr. Taege says to avoid touch your eyes and mouth while shopping, too. He says that's a good way to transfer bacteria inside of your body.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
credit card, holiday shopping, eyewitness news at 4 p.m., health news
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 4 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 49 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 5 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
4 min ago