Do calorie-tracking apps help you lose weight?
ILLINOIS (WABC) -- Cell phone apps that track calories and exercise can be a big motivator in losing weight.
Researchers at Northwestern University found that overweight men who used such an app lost an average of 8.6 pounds.
In comparison, men who recorded their eating and activity using just pen and paper, lost no weight at all.
The mobile app comes along with a coach who called the men regularly to check up on them.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
exercise, weight loss, diet, dieting, health news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow hits southern New Jersey, heads for NYC
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 49 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV