Tips to losing weight and keeping it off
NEW YORK (WABC) -- This is the time of year millions of Americans vow to lose weight, but for many, that's a pledge that's made year after year. So what can you do to make sure this year's diet is the last one?
It all looks so good, but you've just resolved to try and resist. To lose weight and keep it off, first you have to know yourself.
Registered dietician Lauren Antonucci calls it your "nutrition personality".
"It's really important to know, do I need a small treat every single day to look forward to? Or do I need to keep the cookies out of my house?" says Antonucci.
If you know you can just eat one, then you can have that small daily dessert.
"Other people need to say no way kitchen is closed I do not eat dessert after dinner except maybe on Friday or once a week," she adds.
And when it comes to snacks, ask yourself why you're snacking?
"Are you really hungry at 3 p.m. in the afternoon? Or are you eating because you're tired or you're bored or you're thirsty?" asks Antonucci.
Since last February, Lauren helped Cheryl Lassiter lose 25 pounds.
"I know I can't give up candy, I can't give up cookies, so I buy smaller packs snack," said Cheryl.
It's also important to know your challenges. And what temptations are most likely to sabotage your good intentions.
For Cheryl, it's dark chocolate that's hardest to resist.
"Instead of the large bar I'll buy the little nuggets of dark chocolate with almonds," she says.
And if it's out, she knows she'll want it, so she hides it.
"I have to take it out of sight out of mind if I see it I'm gonna eat it," she adds.
If you have a nutritionist you too can get one on one coaching and guidance- and believe it or not many insurance companies will in fact cover the cost- so it's definitely worth it to ask.
Please share your diet and fitness stories and photos with Eyewitness News on Twitter using the hashtag #HealthyYou.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa 31 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos