Eat to lose journaling
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One week into the New Year and it's a good bet some of you are already struggling with your resolution to lose weight. One helpful way to jump start your diet routine is to keep a journal and write down everything you eat and drink.
When she was in her forties, Charmaine Jackson weighed 260 pounds. That's when she knew she had to put the brakes on her bad eating habits, so Jackson put her diet into words.
"I started the food journaling, and that's when the weight started to come off because I had already started exercising a little bit and then that sort of triggered the whole exercise, eating, trying to sleep more," she said.
It's been working. She's been keeping a daily food record for five years and is now 130 pounds lighter. Jackson is also still writing and doesn't plan to stop.
You don't have to keep a food log this long to make it effective, says registered dietitian Marisa Moore.
"For better or for worse, you write down everything that passes your lips," Moore said.
There is not just one way to keep a diet diary.
"You can get an application for your smart phone to track what you eat," Moore said.
She says the research supports the effectiveness of record-keeping.
"There's one study that showed that people who kept a food journal, they were able to lose about double the weight versus those who did not keep a food journal, but importantly they were able to keep the weight off," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
diet, dieting, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 8 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 17 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 47 min ago
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 38 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
38 min ago