Obesity and car crash death risk
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Being obese may increase the risk of dying in a car crash.
Researchers at U.C. Berkeley examined fatal crash data over a 12-year period.
They found 51 % of those killed were either overweight or obese.
The researchers point out the lower body of obese drivers is pushed forward further on impact because the seatbelt doesn't fit the pelvis area properly.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health alert, obesity, health news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 32 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 36 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 25 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos