What to know about cold weather and your health
NEW YORK (WABC) -- When it gets really cold outside, the kind of weather that chills you to the bone, you need to think twice about how you bundle up.
First layer-up! Extra layers trap in the heat and make sure you top off your warm layers with a hat!
Icy weather causes heat to leave your body more quickly, especially if you're not wearing a hat.
Of course, put on gloves and a scarf.
If you're not prepared for the bitter weather, one of the biggest dangers you face is hypothermia, which is abnormally low body temperature.
What makes it especially dangerous is you can't think clearly and may not know to enough to head indoors.
Symptoms also include shivering, slurred speech and drowsiness. A person with hypothermia must get medical care.
When temperatures go below freezing, frostbite can set in, usually on the nose, ears, cheeks, chin, fingers, or toes.
If you get frostbite, you'll lose feeling in the area that's affected. Your skin will look white or grayish-yellow and have a cold or waxy feel. Try to get inside quickly.
The first thing you can do is warm the affected area. If it's your nose, for example, gently cover it with your hand, but don't rub it. That will cause more damage. If it's severe enough you may need medical care.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
cold, cold weather, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 19 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 58 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines