Sisters fight for cure for blood cancer
April 18, 2013 -- A woman and her sister are doing everything they can to help find a cure for multiple myeloma.
Twin sisters Marilyn and Sharon have always been very close.
"We were inseparable, always together, always had the same friends," Marilyn said.
They even had a joint wedding.
So when Marilyn was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, Sharon was devastated. It's the second most common blood cancer.
Marilyn needed a bone marrow transplant to survive.
Of course, Sharon was right by her side and despite always being told they were not identical twins, she was a perfect match.
"I just felt wonderful that I could be there to hopefully give her a cure," Sharon said.
That was 19 years ago.
The transplant put Marilyn's cancer into remission.
She's had problems since, but thanks to research and new treatments, she's here today.
And so she's helping others.
She started a support group, the Philadelphia Multiple Myeloma Networking Group.
"We started with five people around someone's kitchen table," Marilyn said.
But now her group reaches more than 300 people.
They have an annual walk and have raised more than $1-million to support research grants and financial assistance.
Marilyn and Sharon have always had each other; now with their work, they're making sure everyone who faces multiple myeloma also has someone to lean on and hopefully some day, a cure.
The 'Miles for Myeloma' walk or 5-K run takes place on April 27th along Martin Luther King Drive.
healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Golden Globes nominations announced 11 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss 16 min ago
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code 24 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos