Spring an unwelcome time for allergy sufferers
PHILADELPHIA - April 26, 2013 -- For allergy sufferers, blooming trees in the spring is not always a welcome a sight.
"I get a sore throat, sniffling, sneezing, congestion," said Rodney Landis.
Allergist Dr. George Belecanech of The Asthma Center showed us the official tool in our area used to measure the pollen count.
Right now he says the level of tree pollen is very high and it's getting higher.
"Over the weekend and into next week we expect they'll start to hit extreme levels. Historically here pollen hits its highest level the first two weeks of May," said Dr. Belecanech.
He says now is the time to act. Allergy medication works best when it's used before symptoms start.
"We typically tell our patients to use their medication on a regular basis throughout the spring season," said Dr. Belecanech.
It's a plan Landis follows. He's already been taking his medication and says symptoms are minimal.
"Today's not too bad," he said.
Allergy sufferers should also keep windows closed and air conditioner on even if it's not that warm.
Most can still go outside and enjoy the nice weather but allergy sufferers should remember:
"When they go indoors to change clothes and shower to get pollen off so they don't have that constant reservoir of pollen to inhale," said Dr. Belecanech.
Doctors also recommend a non-drowsy antihistamine that works for 12-24 hours. If you still don't have any relief, be sure to visit your primary care physician or a specialist.
healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 27 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 10 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak 54 min ago
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 23 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas