Horse riding program in Manhattan for Cerebral Palsy patients
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A closer look of a program in the New York area that is offering real hope for children who suffer from Cerebral Palsy.
It's a therapeutic riding program and it is helping children facing some daunting challenges.
It took a few moments for 5-year-old Jack Fischer to warm up to our cameras, but watch what happens when he gets on that horse.
A smile lights up his face.
Born with Cerebral Palsy, Jack's parents said they didn't think he would ever be able to walk or talk.
"You would hold him up, and he would topple over, said "Ron Fischer, Jack's father.
But then he started coming to the New York Therapeutic Riding Center, a stable in the middle of the Manhattan where transformations are happening every day.
"When he first started he was very nervous about the horses,' said Ron.
But jack came back week after week for the last 2 years and now he loves riding them.
And he's not only walking, he's walking his horse. Executive director Richard Brodie is not surprised.
"It's hard to put into words you have to see how the children respond to the horse when they're riding the horse," he said.
Horse therapy, also known as equine therapy, uses the interaction with horses to help children with disabilities learn social skills and build trust.
"We came here our son didn't walk and talk and just seeing the progress he's made you see he walks in and out of here so happy to be on the horse," said Jodie Fischer.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers 38 min ago
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 14 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- Photos: Robinson Cano through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos