Get healthy with Move It Monday
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Get moving New York City and the rest of the tri state area, and start doing the Monday Mile.
It's catching on around the country. It's a grassroots effort aimed at getting people to jump start their week with exercise.
"The concept is if you start doing it on a Monday, it becomes habitual and you can get on some type of fitness regimen throughout the week," Cherry Dumaual of The Monday Campaigns said.
Monday Campaigns is a non-profit that offers free resources to businesses, schools and communities across the country to encourage healthier living.
"Otherwise, I probably wouldn't start my workout week. It kind of forces me to remember my commitment to working out three times a week," Mandisa Mitchell said.
"Move it Monday" is their latest plan to get people to get active like doing the Monday mile.
Fitness guru Kim Watkins is taking her group of mile walkers around Central Park's Harlem Meer.
"It's 20 minutes with a warm up for 10 minutes that's your daily requirement of exercise," Watkins explained.
"We're actually associated with Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Syracuse Universities, all for the sake of public health," Dumaual said.
The Monday Campaigns' website helps to get the word out. Podcasts, walking apps and illustrated instructions help users kick off the work week right. There's also social media.
"The beauty of social media is you can send a tweet or on Facebook and say let's all meet up at a certain time," Dumaual said.
Children are welcome too.
"We love to do exercise and my daughters said it was fun," Shoshana Pikado said.
Gym clothes aren't required. Just come as you are. Meet before work or on your lunch break. The opportunities are endless.
For more information, please visit The Monday Campaigns online.
health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 33 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 27 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 9 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos