Flu season right around the corner
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Flu season is right around the corner. It's a terrible illness that can keep you in bed for two weeks. But it doesn't have to.
Eyewitness News spoke to a guy on the street who said he doesn't plan on a flu shot this year, because he hasn't had the flu recently. But the past couple of flu seasons have been mild. If this is a bad one, many of us will get really sick and there will be more flu related deaths.
But there's real protect in some new products.
Flu season begins in November.
"It takes about two weeks to develop some immunity, so now is the right time to go to your physician and get vaccinated," said Dr. Kevin Chason.
And now there's an improvement in the vaccine shot.
The big news is that this years flu vaccine is that it will protect you from four viruses rather than the standard three.
The new shot is against the four strains of the flu virus.
Not everyone has the new strain vaccine yet, it's new this year. And so, doctors aren't sure that the four strain shot will work better than the three.
Then there's the nasal spray vaccine for adults to age 49 and kids.
Most flu vaccines are made in eggs, but now there's a new one that's not, for people with egg allergies. For seniors with weaker immune systems, there's a double dose shot to increase their chances of being protected.
For pregnant women, excellent news on protection. Those who get the shot are thirty percent more likely to reach week 32 before giving birth.
In the future they are working on a micro-shot given under the skin rather than in the muscle. A tiny needle, less pain all around. It's still in test phase. Scientists are also trying to make a vaccine which will protect you for a lifetime, with one shot, instead of a shot every flu season.
health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 50 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus 22 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall