Racy photo of mom with kids going viral
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's the photo that has moms fired up. A toned and tanned Maria Kang posing with her 3 sons with the question "What's your excuse?"
The Facebook post has over 20,000 comments and counting, some encouraging others calling her "self-righteous" and a "bully" even blaming her for "the body shaming problem" in America.
"I posted it because I thought it would be inspiring and motivating to mothers and people to who aren't mothers to get out and work out- if she can do it so can you," said Kang.
Maria swears she's just like other working moms without a nanny.
But she says she makes no excuses for not working out.
"I just make sure I prioritize every day to make sure I get 30 minutes 5, 6 days a week," she adds.
But for other moms we spoke to, that's easier said than done.
"Balancing and taking care of yourself and trying not to worry about him it's a lot," said Katrian Yao, who was with her son Max.
Maria says her kids are usually with her at the park when she works with other moms, at the gym which has a daycare, or at home.
"They're running around me when I'm on the treadmill the baby was in the baby jumper," she adds.
A former fitness trainer and beauty queen, Kang once struggled with an eating disorder.
As Director of the Center for Eating Disorders at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Evelyn Attia says it's not just the photo, but the message that's concerning.
"There's no one size fits all when it comes to eating and exercise that "no excuses" message does suggest that everyone needs to do it one way and that could be dangerous," she said.
But Maria is not apologizing.
"The message I was sending it doesn't matter if you're a mother you can still be healthy for your children," she said.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt 35 min ago
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams