Racy photo of mom with kids going viral
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's the photo that has moms fired up. A toned and tanned Maria Kang posing with her 3 sons with the question "What's your excuse?"
The Facebook post has over 20,000 comments and counting, some encouraging others calling her "self-righteous" and a "bully" even blaming her for "the body shaming problem" in America.
"I posted it because I thought it would be inspiring and motivating to mothers and people to who aren't mothers to get out and work out- if she can do it so can you," said Kang.
Maria swears she's just like other working moms without a nanny.
But she says she makes no excuses for not working out.
"I just make sure I prioritize every day to make sure I get 30 minutes 5, 6 days a week," she adds.
But for other moms we spoke to, that's easier said than done.
"Balancing and taking care of yourself and trying not to worry about him it's a lot," said Katrian Yao, who was with her son Max.
Maria says her kids are usually with her at the park when she works with other moms, at the gym which has a daycare, or at home.
"They're running around me when I'm on the treadmill the baby was in the baby jumper," she adds.
A former fitness trainer and beauty queen, Kang once struggled with an eating disorder.
As Director of the Center for Eating Disorders at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Evelyn Attia says it's not just the photo, but the message that's concerning.
"There's no one size fits all when it comes to eating and exercise that "no excuses" message does suggest that everyone needs to do it one way and that could be dangerous," she said.
But Maria is not apologizing.
"The message I was sending it doesn't matter if you're a mother you can still be healthy for your children," she said.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 48 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 36 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 44 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 37 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 2 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
51 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
26 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos