Dangerous new trend: kids snorting Smarties candy
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a dangerous new trend that involves the popular candy Smarties. Instead of eating them, kids are snorting them.
They're crushing the candy and inhaling it, in videos seen all over YouTube.
The motivation behind the crushing and snorting of Smarties isn't known.
The bizarre trend is happening across the nation, including at a Rhode Island middle school, where the principal sent an email about it to students.
And a health expert is warning about the dangers.
"Anytime you snort or inhale a substance into your lungs that is not meant to be it is definitely hazardous to your health and could have significant health consequences for individuals," said behavioral care expert Rebecca Boss.
Some of the negative side effects of snorting Smarties include infection and scarring of the nasal cavity.
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 1 min ago
- Before East Harlem Explosion, resident remembers gas smell 1 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media 19 min ago
- Video: Dozens injured in East Harlem explosion 11 min ago
- Video: Damages throught neighborhood after East... 11 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 6 min ago
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
22 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
53 min ago