Measles exposure at Palisades Mall: Shoppers being warned
WEST NYACK (WABC) -- Residents in Rockland County are being warned of exposure to a case of the measles.
The Rockland County Department of Health says residents may have been exposed to the measles if they were at the Palisades Center Mall on Sunday, February 2nd between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Little is being said about the person who is now being treated for the measles, except that is a young child who was at the Palisades Mall last Sunday. The child was on the first floor of the mall with family, and they visited Best Buy and the AT&T Store.
Other people who were in those specific locations last Sunday may have been exposed to measles.
Symptoms you should look out for include watery eyes, a runny nose, coughing, high fever and a rash. Those symptoms usually appear within 10-12 days after a person is exposed. If you develop these signs and symptoms, you are urged to contact your doctor or healthcare provider ahead of time so you do not expose others.
High risk groups include women who are pregnant, children under 6 months of age, those who are immunocompromised or immunosuppressed (when your body cannot fight disease) or those who may have not been vaccinated against the measles.
Measles is an extremely infectious disease spread by coughing, sneezing or personal contact. It causes a fever, cough and a rash on the body. Most people who contract the disease recover, but it can be fatal.
The mall is currently safe. It was never wiped down or fumigated, because Health Officials say the airborne disease likely lingered only a few hours after the child left the mall. However, Health officials stress if you were shopping on February 2nd between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., pay close attention to the signs or symptoms which could indicate you have been infected.
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos