Lifestyle & Fun
Reducing stress with yoga meditation
NEW YORK (WABC) -- More and more people are trying it - meditating while doing yoga.
The challenge in Alan Finger's class isn't the downward dog or the cow pose. It's actually sitting still.
"It's much easier to work with your body than get your mind still," Finger said. "When you're calm and still you find inspiration comes to you."
Judging by his packed classes at Ishta on the Upper East Side, people are looking for inspiration or healing or peace or something
"What projects from our senses onto our mind is chaos. No one has chaos built in. Chaos is only created by you and what you've taken into you," Finger said.
So we try to switch off the mind - first with some movement, and then through breathing techniques. That's followed by 18 minutes of just sitting and for beginners that is so, so hard, but it can be so worth it.
At Ishta, there are several meditation classes every week. Classes are 30 dollars.
What you experience at these sessions and within will linger. It's why yoga studios are offering more and more in the way of meditation.
Jaya Yoga Studios jayayogacenter.com
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yoga, meditation, brooklyn, upper east side, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos