Lifestyle & Fun
Benefits of dragon fruit
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Dragon fruit is relatively new to the United States, and there are still a lot of people who don't know about it.
Never heard of pitaya? It is also known as dragon fruit. It's grown in Asia. That's why the fruit is popular at markets in Chinatown. Pitaya is also grown in Central America. That's where Eric Helms sources his pitaya for juice generation.
The inside of his pitaya is pink. He uses a pureed and frozen version for smoothies. Asian versions are white. There are health benefits, according to registered dietician Elisa Zeid
That's probably why we're seeing it in skin care products, such as one from Peter Thomas Roth. The pink cream is used in spa treatments at Equinox. Even Julia Roberts' character uses it in a scene from Mirror, Mirror.
Dragon fruit was only allowed in the United States 4 years ago. Already, we're eating it, slurping it and wearing it.
For more, please visit:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia