Lifestyle & Fun
Benefits of dragon fruit
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Dragon fruit is relatively new to the United States, and there are still a lot of people who don't know about it.
Never heard of pitaya? It is also known as dragon fruit. It's grown in Asia. That's why the fruit is popular at markets in Chinatown. Pitaya is also grown in Central America. That's where Eric Helms sources his pitaya for juice generation.
The inside of his pitaya is pink. He uses a pureed and frozen version for smoothies. Asian versions are white. There are health benefits, according to registered dietician Elisa Zeid
That's probably why we're seeing it in skin care products, such as one from Peter Thomas Roth. The pink cream is used in spa treatments at Equinox. Even Julia Roberts' character uses it in a scene from Mirror, Mirror.
Dragon fruit was only allowed in the United States 4 years ago. Already, we're eating it, slurping it and wearing it.
For more, please visit:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Large explosion, fire reported in East Harlem 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 29 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos