Lifestyle & Fun
How to avoid making 7 slimdown mistakes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Too often, we sabotage ourselves. The number one mistake? We eat food that's not real.
"When you are eating a lot of fake foods you become nutrition deficient and therefore hungry. That causes us to binge later," said Nutrition Counselor Marjorie Nolan.
Nolan is with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and says to put down some of those shakes, and instead pick up almonds or protein-rich yogurt.
Next, we don't get enough shut eye. The lack of sleep makes us even more hungry.
"Studies show that after 2 nights of sleep deprivation of 1 and half hours, there is an increase in the hunger hormone graelin , so we want to eat more throughout the day," adds Nolan.
On the other end of the spectrum, some people exercise too much, which means broken down muscle never gets the chance to rebuild, and we lose that chance to enjoy a higher metabolism.
Also, some people eat dinner too early.
"You should ideally eat 3 to 4 hours before you go to bed, so if you go to bed late, you need to add a snack or eat dinner later," adds Nolan.
Not drinking enough water also hurts us. More than half the time we think we're hungry, but instead we are really thirsty. Instead of having a snack, have a big glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If you are just thirsty, the feeling of hunger will go away.
Avoiding cooking is a big mistake that many make, and that can put on weight.
Also, it may help to keep a log of your food.
"We have to write it down in order to know! We will eat less," advised Dolan.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
diet, dieting, food, exercise, lifestyle & fun, michelle charlesworth
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 17 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 16 min ago
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 36 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
17 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos