Lifestyle & Fun
Seven Blocks: Manhattanville off of the 1 train line
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Next stop is 125th st. where the 1 line travels over Broadway.
Welcome to Manhattanville, nestled between Harlem and the Hudson River and when you step out into this neighborhood you find a lot of New York history within 7 blocks of this stop.
Among the most famous is about 3 blocks away. The General Grant National Memorial. It is the final resting place of President Ulysses S. Grant and his wife Julia. It is also the largest mausoleum in North America and a testament to a country's gratitude to a general who helped end the civil war and later a president who strove to heal the nation.
Right across the street from the memorial is another NYC treasure. The Riverside Church, famous for its neo-gothic architecture and long history of social justice. Bishop Tutu, the Dali Lama, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., among the historic personalities to speak inside its hallowed halls.
It also boasts of having one of the biggest church organs in the city. Speaking of music, right across from the stop is the world famous Cotton Club. The home for legendary greats is still hopping today. It first opened its doors in 1923. Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, all helped make it a musical landmark.
Four blocks north of the stop is an institution of a different kind. The Fairway Harlem store opened in 1995 and is famous for it wide variety of foods and it electronic message sign along the Henry Hudson Pkwy that often has a joke line to go with deals of the day.
Finally, the former site of a parking lot is now an oasis along the river. Located about four blocks from the stop is the West Harlem Piers Park. A two acre park that connects the neighborhood with the Hudson River Greenway.
River views, the home of music legends, and historic landmarks can all be found within 7 blocks of the 125th stop in Manhattanville.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
eyewitness news at 4 p.m., seven blocks, in your neighborhood, lifestyle & fun, david novarro
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's 38 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death 38 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands 37 min ago
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years 49 min ago
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos