Lifestyle & Fun
7 Blocks in Clinton Hill
CLINTON HILL (WABC) -- When you explore the neighborhood within 7 blocks of the Clinton/Washington Avenue stop, you have to start with the Brooklyn Navy Yard, about 6 blocks north.
The Brooklyn Navy Yard is a modern industrial park converted from a historic ship building site that dates back to the Revolutionary War. A public museum pays tribute to its important past and its evolution today into home for the businesses of the future.
"The Brooklyn Navy Yard has become a national model for the creation of good paying industrial jobs, particularly green manufacturing jobs. We have 275 businesses here. Six thousand people come to work here every day," Yard President Andrew Kimball said.
It is also the home of Steiner Studios, the largest U.S. film and television production studio complex outside of Hollywood. Many sites surrounding the stop have been in the movies, including a monument 7 blocks west. It's called the Prison Ship Martyrs' Monument. It is memorial to the more than 11,500 prisoners of war who died in captivity aboard 11 prison ships in the early 1800's.
The neighborhood surrounding the stop has one of the largest concentrations of row houses from the post civil war period in the city. Right across the street from the subway stop you will find Underwood Park, which was once the site of the mansion of typewriter manufacturer John Thomas Underwood. Underwood produced the first widely successful modern typewriter.
Three blocks from the stop is the Pratt Institute. It was named one of the best art design schools in the world by Bloomberg Businessweek and attracting students from around the globe.
Education, naval history, and the movies of tomorrow can all be found within 7 blocks of the Clinton/Washington Avenue stop in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
eyewitness news at 4 p.m., seven blocks, clinton hill, brooklyn, lifestyle & fun, david novarro
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ